Five Things We Learned: Iowa-Northwestern

Iowa’s win over Northwestern put it in the driver’s seat of the Big Ten West, and gets it to a much-needed bye week undefeated.
By Charlie Green

Iowa Hawkeyes: Kings of the West (so far)

Iowa firmly grabbed hold of the Big Ten West with the win over Northwestern, gaining essentially a two-game advantage over both the Wildcats and the Wisconsin Badgers after beating both on the road.
After a bye on Oct. 24, the Hawkeyes’ final five opponents share a combined record of 14-20. The strength of schedule, or lack thereof, puts the team in the driver’s seat in the division.
Barring a complete meltdown, the win over the Wildcats set the Hawks up nicely for a berth in the Big Ten Championship game.
Insert running back here
Just as Jordan Canzeri looked like he had solidified himself as one of the top backs in the conference, an sprained ankle took him out of action early against Northwestern.
Apparently that’s okay, because sophomore Akrum Wadley filled in by running for over 200 yards and four touchdowns and leading the blowout effort.
It speaks volumes of how well the offensive line is blocking for the run. Its physical nature clearly fits it best to get downhill and move people off the line, making up for its struggles in pass protection.
Consider this: Iowa has had two different backs rush for over 200 hundred yards, and three run for over 100 yards in spite of injuries limiting preseason No. 1 LeShun Daniels and decimating the offensive line.
Crucial Bye week ahead
Bye weeks may not always be the most exciting part of the schedule, but in 2015 this one couldn’t come soon enough for the Hawks. In addition to Canzeri going down, a hobbled C.J. Beathard clearly could use some rest and recuperation.
Daniels and wide receiver Tevaun Smith getting another week to heal up could be huge as well. Daniels adds yet another option to a potent mix in the running game, but Smith is someone who could help revive the passing game in the second half of the season.
Of course Ike Boettger and Boone Myers would be welcomed back with open arms to the offensive line. But to the group’s credit, it has paved the way for 238.7 yards per game on the ground in October largely in the absence of the two starters.
Run defense clamping down
Iowa is allowing just over 74 yards per game on the ground, second to only Michigan in the Big Ten. In terms of rushing touchdowns allowed no team has allowed less than the one the Hawkeyes have seven games into 2015.
If Northwestern was going to get its offense going on Saturday, it was going to be on the ground because its pass offense ranks dead last in the Big Ten.
The Hawks held them to just 51 yards rushing, with only 30 coming from Justin Jackson. The ‘Cats average over 190 yards per game and Jackson himself averages close to 100.
Iowa completely took that option out of the game on Saturday, forcing its opponent to turn to a pass game that hasn’t gotten it done all year.
Rudock rematch unlikely
This revelation didn’t come directly from the Northwestern game, but now that Iowa has a hold on the West, it will be interesting to see how things in the East unfold.
Iowa did its part in playing toward a Jake Rudock rematch in the Big Ten Championship, but Michigan’s last-play debacle against Michigan State made it very unlikely it can earn a spot in that game.
For that to happen, the Wolverines would have to beat Ohio State, and get some help from other teams against both the Buckeyes and Spartans. Crazier things have happened, but a lot would need to go down if this dream matchup were to happen.
Sometimes life is hard. But, after all, the Hawkeyes are 7-0 with the hardest part of its schedule in the dust.
Follow @charlsgreen on Twitter for Iowa football news, updates, and analysis.