Men’s swimming set for Big Ten

Swimmers kick off at the start of the first heat of the 200 medley relay during the first day of the Big 10 Men’s Swimming and Diving Championships at the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center on Wednesday, Feb. 25, 2015. Michigan won the race with a time of 1:23.47.

By Jake Mosbach

Tonight, the Hawkeye women’s swimming and diving team will begin the highly competitive Big Ten schedule, hosting Michigan State in the Campus Recreation & Wellness Center.

The action kicks off at 7 p.m. today and will continue at 4 p.m. on Friday.

The Hawks come in to the event after beating Illinois-Chicago on Sept. 26 by a score of 146-72.

Iowa head coach Marc Long, now in his 12th year leading the Hawkeyes, said that with the beginning of Big Ten competition comes some of the most difficult meets in college swimming.

“When we start going in to the Big Ten meets, it’s the deepest, most competitive conference in the country,” Long said. “We still have a lot to learn, and a lot of work to do. We’re really shooting for February and March, but we love Big Ten meets because they bring out the best in people competitively.”

While Iowa’s Big Ten slate is grueling, running from mid-October all the way to the conference championships in late February, Long said intense off-season work has prepared the team for the run to the Big Ten title.

“The team has the opportunity to do a ton of work in the summer, whether it’s with us or on their own,” said Long. “The more we can do from a team perspective in the off-season, the better.”

Junior Emma Sougstad, who competes in the individual medley, fly, breast, and free events, is expected to be a team leader not only against Michigan State and Northern Iowa but also the rest of the season.

And she is more than ready to take on that role.

“It’s not only the team that expects more out of me. I expect more out of myself this year,” Sougstad said. “I’m trying to take that next step and get to that next level.”

Last year, Sougstad was an NCAA qualifier in the 100 breast, 200 breast, and 200 individual medley.

Racing in her first true home meet in front of the Hawkeye faithful, freshman free and breast competitor Abbey Schneider is ready to begin the long Big Ten season.

The Fishers, Indiana, native won the women’s mixed 500 free event at the team’s intrasquad meet, and will be a young driving force for Long’s squad.

“I’m just really excited to get up and race at home,” Schneider said. “I’m just going to get up on the blocks confidently and do the best that I can.”

Throughout the week, the team’s upperclassmen have been crucial motivators for Schneider, as well as the other younger members of the team.

“I love having the support of my teammates,” she said. “That’s helping me a lot. I’ve been swimming a lot faster in practice this week.”

Sougstad said it’s time to buckle down and accomplish what the Hawks know they are capable of.

When the Spartans and Panthers enter the Hawks’ Natatorium, they’ll go against a hungry bunch of Hawkeyes.

“We’re looking forward to some good, gutsy swims, and we’re really just looking to beat the green and purple caps next to us,” Sougstad said.