Women’s golf take fourth

Iowa golfer Briana Midkiff practices her drive during media day at Finkbine on Tuesday, Aug. 25, 2015. The women’s golf team will open its season with the Diane Thomason Invitational on Sept. 12-13 at Finkbine. (The Daily Iowan/Margaret Kispert)

On Tuesday, the Iowa women’s golf team wrapped up its final fall season tournament with a fourth-place finish at the Pinehurst Challenge in Pinehurst, North Carolina. The Hawks tied with Maryland, carding a three-round total of 873 [plus-9].

East Carolina took the team title with 857, Chattanooga earned second-place at 863, and Elon took third with 866.

Hawkeye head coach Megan Menzel’s squad held second place through 36 holes at the conclusion of play on Monday but struggled a bit on Tuesday to drop two spots. The result at Pinehurst means the Hawks cracked the top-five in every tournament this fall.

Individually, senior standout Amy Ihm paced Iowa for the tournament, finishing 20th at 218 [plus-2]. Sophomore Elisa Suarez had a strong performance to tie Ihm.

Next for the Hawks came junior Jessie Sindlinger, who tied for 29th place, carding a 219. Sophomore Jessica Ip and freshman Kristin Glesne rounded out the Hawkeye lineup tied for 37th at 221.

Alessandra Liu of William & Mary was the tournament’s medalist, firing a 206.

The conclusion of the Hawkeyes’ fall tournament means a long break. They won’t return to action until the beginning of their spring season, Feb. 21, 2016, at the Westbrook Spring Invitational in Peoria, Arizona.

­— by Jake Mosbach