Sash autopsy: accidental overdose

Iowa defensive back Tyler Sash gives an interview following their game against Indiana on Saturday, Nov. 6, 2010 at Memorial Stadium in Bloomington, IN. (The Daily Iowan/File Photo)

The autopsy results of former Iowa star Tyler Sash have been released.

By Charlie Green

Autopsy results were released Tuesday about the death of former Hawkeye safety Tyler Sash. He died suddenly on Sept. 8; the autopsy revealed the cause to be “an accidental mixed drug toxicity involving methadone and hydrocodone.”

The statement from the Iowa Department of Public Health also showed a recent shoulder dislocation and a history of chronic shoulder pain for Sash, but it is unclear whether the drugs were consumed or prescribed for that purpose. The statement called the shoulder issues “significant conditions.”

“We all learned about the medical examiner’s report [Tuesday] morning, and you know, obviously regarding his death, his passing has been a very, very sad thing, and our thoughts continue to his family and all of his friends,” Iowa head coach Kirk Ferentz said. “Very sorry to learn about the news there.”

The findings also stated that tests for chronic traumatic encephalopathy are ongoing and will be finished in roughly eight to 12 months. The degenerative brain disease has been found in former football players, and it is linked to a history of repetitive brain trauma.

Sash’s body was discovered in his home in Oskaloosa on Sept. 8; he was 27. Initial autopsy results released shortly after his death revealed no acute trauma.

After playing for Iowa from 2008-2010, the New York Giants drafted him in the sixth round of the 2011 NFL draft. He won a Super Bowl with the team in 2012.