Regents briefs

Regents+briefs

Regents may increase tuition

The tuition-freeze train may finally come to an end.

The state Board of Regents is set to discuss raising tuition on resident undergraduates at the University of Iowa by $200, or 3 percent, for the 2016-17 school year. The rate would ring in at $6,878.

However, under the proposal, in-state undergraduates at Iowa State University and the University of Northern Iowa would see their tuition freeze for the whole school year.

At their September meeting, the regents were expected to raise tuition by $100 for such students for the spring semester. A planned full-year freeze fell through in the face of lower-than-anticipated legislative funding.

After a plea from UI Student Government President Liz Mills, the regents opted to keep the freeze in place for the UI but not ISU and UNI. The proposal for 2016-17 flips the regents’ previous actions around.

Tuition on all other types of students would increase should the proposal move forward. UI nonresident undergraduates would pay $502 at $26,966.

Instate graduates would pay $160 more, or $8,556. Out-of-state graduates would pay $486 more, or $26,060. All students would pay more in fees.

The move would take the UI from the least expensive public university in Iowa for in-state undergraduates to the most expensive.

The regents will consider the increase at a meeting in late October in Iowa City and vote on it during their telephonic meeting in December.

Quad’s life soon to end

Residents may want to start writing a eulogy.

The regents will consider approving the UI request to abandon Quadrangle Hall.

The residence hall was built in 1920. The UI would like to demolish the building to make room for a new pharmacy building.

The regents will take a look at the move at their Oct. 21-22 meeting in Iowa City.

— by Chris Higgins

Correction: The regents will not be voting on the tuition proposal in October. They will instead simply discuss and consider the proposed increase. The regents will instead vote on tuition in December. The DI regrets the error. This post has been updated.