Injuries, injuries, and more injuries

Iowa defensive lineman Drew Ott gets looked at after an injury during the Homecoming game against Illinois in Kinnick Stadium on Saturday, Oct. 10, 2015. The Hawkeyes defeated the Illini 29-20. (The Daily Iowan/Valerie Burke)

Iowa defensive end Drew Ott is done for the season.

By Danny Payne

Members of the No. 17 Iowa football team met with the media Tuesday, and it was one busy day. The Hawkeyes are scheduled to travel to Evanston, Illinois, to play No. 20 Northwestern Saturday.

We won’t waste any more time; let’s jump right in.

Ott injury official

As was the concern for Iowa fans, defensive end Drew Ott’s Hawkeye career is over. Hawkeye head coach Kirk Ferentz confirmed that Ott suffered a torn ACL against Illinois, and he will miss the remainder of the season.

The senior was injured on a punt block in the second half, and although he walked off the field under his own power, he did not return. Despite his injury, Ott will still serve as a team captain this week and likely for the remainder of the year.

“It’s a tough deal for Drew, certainly,” Ferentz said. “He’s a tremendous young guy. He’s done everything he possibly can, and it’s especially tough because he just fought back from that elbow injury, he’s been playing less than 100 percent, pretty close last week, and now this happened.”

Redshirt freshman Parker Hesse is slated to play opposite senior Nate Meier in Ott’s place. Ferentz said on Tuesday that Matt Nelson and Melvin Spears could be in the mix as well.

“We’ll do it by committee if we have to,” Ferentz said. “Fortunately, we still have Nate [Meier] going at the other end, so it makes it a little bit easier to shoulder.”

Beathard ‘positive’ he’ll play

No, the rumors you may have heard about a C.J. Beathard injury aren’t true. Beathard, who has taken numerous shots this season, told the media Tuesday he’s banged up but plans to play Saturday against Northwestern.

He fielded scores of questions about a rumored sports hernia surgery, and answered each time that he plans to be on the field in Evanston.

“I feel like I’m a leader of this team,” Beathard said. “Each game is cherished; you only get 12 shots at it … I feel good. I think I’ll be out there for sure.”

Although Beathard may be limited in practice this week — he had ice on his groin and leg following the Illinois game — he fully expects to be effective Saturday despite what could be a light week physically.

“I feel like my position is such a mental game,” Beathard said. “I know I can throw the ball fine and do all that stuff. Any week of the season, mentally is the hardest part of being a quarterback.”

Ferentz said Tuesday he’s “counting on it” in regards to Beathard being able to start. If he tweaks something this week, redshirt freshman Tyler Wiegers should get his first college start against the Wildcats.

Expecting 2013 Northwestern, Not 2014

Iowa’s last two games with Northwestern have gone different ways, to be modest. Both taking place in Kinnick Stadium, 2013’s contest ended 17-10 in overtime. In a defensive battle, then-QB Jake Rudock found C.J. Fiedorowicz in the end zone to cap the game.

Last year, however, was a different story. Iowa embarrassed the Wildcats 48-7. Simply put, Northwestern didn’t show up.

The Wildcats rank No. 11 in the Big Ten in total offense, but defense is their real strength — the Cats are No. 2 in the league in total defense. Running back Justin Jackson is fourth in the Big Ten with 110.2 yards per game.

“Their offensive line has a lot of starts under their belt, a good back, and a quarterback that can manage the offense,” Hesse said. “So it’s going to be a good test for us — sound football.”

More (it’s exhausting, isn’t it?) injuries

Ferentz said left tackle Bonne Myers, running back LeShun Daniels Jr., tight end Jake Duzey, wide receiver Tevaun Smith, and right tackle Ike Boettger are doubtful for Saturday’s game with the Wildcats.

Expect Cole Croston, Jordan Canzeri, Henry Krieger Coble, Jerminic Smith, and James Daniels to start in their places, respectively.