Dougherty makes her mark

Iowa players Anastasia Reimchen and Aimee Tarun make a play against Nebraska on Sunday March 29, 2015 inside the Indoor Tennis Complex. Iowa won the first conference of the season against Nebraska, 4-2. (The Daily Iowan/Courtney Hawkins)

Iowa women’s tennis coach Katie Dougherty is a vet and has a young team making waves.

By Mason Clarke

Despite having several young players, Iowa women’s tennis has had some success.

And for a team with a brand-new look, the squad could not be more closely knit. At the helm of a team that combines hard work with having fun is head coach Katie Dougherty.

In her seventh season with Iowa, she leads a very fresh team that is making some noise.

Dougherty has drilled into her players’ heads that they need to compete, and she looks for hard work and growth.

While her players are giving it their all, Dougherty ensures that the players have fun together.

At any given practice, she has the women take part in unique competitive drills.

During these drills, a spectator would see players sprinting all over the court in an effort to win the point. At the same time, the rest of the team is cheering and laughing, enjoying working hard while playing the game they love.

Dougherty sets up drills like this frequently, one factor among many that keeps the Hawks improving and bonding.

She has been coaching for several years, and she still works hard and loves her job.

“We’re on the court five, six hours a day,” Dougherty said. “It’s the best part of my day by far, to see these guys.”

It is evident that players benefit from playing under a positive role model who has coached college tennis for more than a decade.

“We all look up to [Dougherty] … We learn a lot about tennis from her,” sophomore Anastasia Reimchen said. “She just always knows what to say. She’s a good coach.”

The primary objective in coaching is often thought to be winning. Heading into the fall season, many doubted whether the Iowa women’s tennis team would be able to do that.

Through two tournaments, the Hawkeyes have shown both potential and growth, and they have had a good number of victories.

Victories off the court, which may be considered the true objective, stem from Dougherty’s leadership.

In her six seasons with Iowa, five players have been first team All-Big Ten, but it may be even more noteworthy that 20 of her players have earned Academic All-Big Ten honors.

The head coach can decide whether to run a dictatorship or an open and fun program. Dougherty chose the latter when she became a coach.

“She’s the nicest person you could ever ask for as a coach,” Douglas said. “She gives us time to bond and get to know each other.”

Dougherty generally says positive things about her team, and she knows she is home when she is coaching.

“This is the best part of my job,” she said. “If it wasn’t, I should be doing something else.”