Ott out for season, Beathard likely to play

Iowa defensive end Drew Ott runs to grab the ball from a Nebraska fumbled punt in Kinnick Stadium on Friday, November 28, 2014. Ott scored a touchdown off the play. Iowa was defeated by Nebraska in overtime, 37-34. (The Daily Iowan/Alyssa Hitchcock)

Two key players for Iowa have injury-related news this week.

By Danny Payne

This is a big week, injury-wise for Iowa. We’ll have a comprehensive list in Wednesday’s edition of the DI, but we wanted to give you updates on two of the most notable ailments for the Hawkeyes this week as soon as we could.

Ott injury official 

As was the worry for Iowa fans, defensive end Drew Ott’s Hawkeye career is over. Head coach Kirk Ferentz confirmed Ott suffered a torn ACL against Illinois Oct. 10, and will miss the remainder of the year.

The senior was injured on a punt block in the second half and although he walked off the field under his own power, did not return to the contest.

Redshirt freshman Parker Hesse is slated to play opposite senior Nate Meier in Ott’s place. Ferentz said Tuesday Matt Nelson and Melvin Spears could be in the mix as well.

Beathard ‘positive’ he’ll play

No, the rumors you may have heard about a C.J. Beathard injury aren’t true. Beathard, who has taken multiple shots this season, told the media Tuesday he’s banged up, but plans to play Saturday against Northwestern.

Beathard fielded scores of questions regarding a rumored sports hernia surgery, and answered each time that he plans to be on the field in Evanston.

“I feel like I’m a leader of this team,” Beathard said. “Each game is cherished, you only get 12 shots at it … I feel good, I think I’ll be out there for sure.”

Although Beathard may be limited in practice this week — he had ice on his groin and leg following the Illinois game — he fully expects to be effective Saturday despite what could be a light week physically.

“I feel like my position is such a mental game,” Beathard said. “I know I can throw the ball fine and do all that stuff. Any week of the season, mentally is the hardest part of being a quarterback.”

Ferentz said Tuesday he’s “counting on it” in regards to Beathard being able to start. If he tweaks something this week, redshirt freshman Tyler Wiegers should get his first collegiate start against the Wildcats.

Check back for more Iowa football news right here at dailyiowan.com and follow us on Twitter @dipregame for all the news you need.