Long road to come on gay acceptance

Christopher Cervantes

For as long as there has been a society, we’ve had social issues. Whether it be civil rights or universal suffrage, there has always been a cause that dominates the progressive minds of the world. After the good fight is fought, there remains a great deal of time in which people focus on “how far we’ve come.” This contemplative ideology has shown up recently in the wake of a “bold” decision, courtesy of the Campbell Soup Co., in which the company featured an advertisement involving a homosexual couple and their son.

Personally, I was overjoyed to see this commercial. I grew up seeing advertisements that painted same-sex marriage in a negative light, almost as if it was the most awful thing in the entire world. To see an advertisement void of scathing undertones toward a group of persecuted people is great. What is even more amazing is how far this type of acceptance has spread.

Take, for example, the popular kids’ channel Cartoon Network. It has not one but two programs involving lesbian characters. My childhood would never have seen such an occurrence in kids’ programming, let alone twice on the same network. Information on these topics have been trending social-media sites, with thunderous praise for the shows and the advertisement, with claims of a brighter era in which tolerance and acceptance is further pushed toward the brink of universal recognition.

As much as it pains me it say it, we haven’t come as far as we think.

While many members of the common masses, there are several organizations, such as the decency group One Million Moms, who object to the promotion of “unnatural marriage.” Furthermore, there is one bit of glossed-over information that proves the limit of the acceptance given to the situation. That people noticed the same sex of the subjects and then made it newsworthy proves that the uphill battle will rage on.

No one makes a special note when a heterosexual couple appears in media. At this point, it is just considered a standard trope of entertainment. However, a relationship between two men or two women is still viewed as a novelty, something extra to add. If we had truly come far in our thinking, then a homosexual couple represented in media wouldn’t be noticeable. In order for that to happen, it must be viewed on the same level as a heterosexual couple: a standard trope of the media.

Despite all of this, there shouldn’t be a pessimistic view on the situation. The mindset of today’s media, in contrast to even just seven years ago, is a staggering improvement. And while there is pride to that statement, it should to be the final result. There exists a long road ahead, one to be paved with a series of trials and tribulations. Given the recent developments in the LGBT community (such as the right to marry and the serious consequences of Kim Davis’ actions), numerous trials have been set. All that remains now is the work to move forward.