Instant Reaction: Iowa 29, Illinois 20

The Iowa football team beat Illinois, 29-20.

By Danny Payne

Well, Iowa fans can thank Jordan Canzeri for that one. Injuries certainly didn’t help the Hawkeyes today, but we’ll get to that. Below are thoughts from the second half, here are the first half ones.

• Drew Ott and Ike Boettger were hurt. Ott had ice around his knee, and Boettger looked like a lower-half injury, too. James Daniels and Parker Hessee replaced the duo. We’ll see what coach Kirk Ferentz says after the game regarding their status.
  • Jordan Canzeri had a fantastic game, despite poor line play. He finished with 43 carries for 256 yards

, and was aided by a 75-yard touchdown run in the final frame. In the fourth quarter, Iowa fed him 11-consecutive times. He broke the school record with 43 carries today.

• Greg Mabin. Woof. The cornerback did not have a good game today, and that’s probably an understatement. Illinois targeted his side of the field an obscene number of times in the second half, and it worked. Despite only having 89 passing yards in the first half, Wes Lunt finished with 317 yards on 42 attempts.
  • Can’t say enough about the running game in the second half. Unbelievable job by Canzeri.
  • On the Illinois touchdown that made it a 3-point game. Geronimo Allison put a double move on Desmond King, who looked like he had the flat. Jordan Lomax took a brutal route to the ball, and the rest was history.
  • Why Illinois gave the ball to Ke’Shawn Vaughn on that fumble is beyond me. He got run over by Nate Meier and Company earlier in the game and looked fazed. Seemed like a no-brainer to keep him out of the game.
  • That led to a 40-yard Marshall Koehn field goal, which sealed the deal.
  • Below are the final stats. We’ll have more on this one later.

Screen Shot 2015-10-10 at 2.30.33 PM

Follow @dipregame on Twitter for Iowa football news, updates, and analysis.