HALFTIME: Iowa 16, Illinois 7

Iowa Hawkeyes defensive back Jordan Lomax (27) brings Pittsburgh Panthers running back Darrin Hall (22)d down in Kinnick Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 19, 2015. The Hawkeyes beat the Panthers, 27-24. (The Daily Iowan/Joshua Housing)

At halftime in Kinnick Stadium, the Iowa football team is leading Illinois, 16-7.

By Danny Payne

This is a better game than I expected, at least so far. I’m still not convinced it’s going to stay close, but I suppose we’ll see. Anyways, here are some thoughts on the first half.

• The Hawkeye offensive line does not look good whatsoever. James Daniels and Cole Croston, in particular, have been getting murdered. The Hawks haven’t been able to establish any sort of running game, and running backs were averaging 2.4 per carry before a Canzeri 32-yard burst, which was more the result of Canzeri being good than crisp blocking.
  • As a result of that lack of run game, C.J. Beathard has thrown the ball 25 times for 190 yards and 2 touchdowns.
  • Jerminic Smith, have a half. The true freshman wide receiver has looked superb, and he has averaged 29.5 per catch. He has gains of 46 and 49 yards. If you have him in fantasy football, he’s given your team 15 points and doesn’t have a touchdown. This is assuming you play PPR. If you don’t, quit and find another league. Or just quit.
  • Iowa’s defense looks very strong. It has attacked quarterback Wes Lunt well and has only allowed 121 yards. Good coverage, good pressure. Jaleel Johnson has been in the backfield a fair amount.
  • This:

• Marshall Koehn has not had a great day. He had a bad rugby punt and pushed the PAT wide right on the first touchdown. He made the second, however, and a 19-yard field goal. With the shakiness of Iowa’s offensive line against the Illini, and against Wisconsin last week, for that matter, this team cannot afford bad kicks from Koehn.
  • Lunt’s arm is very good. I’d be willing to bet he could throw a ball over them mountains. Maybe even a quarter mile. He’s amassed 65 yards, however.
  • Jaleel Johnson to Wes Lunt at some point in this game, probably:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsglRLoUdtc

• Anyways, here are today’s statistics. We’ll have extensive coverage after the game and in the paper tomorrow. Enjoy the second half.

Screen Shot 2015-10-10 at 12.41.49 PM

Follow @dipregame on Twitter for Iowa football news, updates, and analysis.