Point/Counterpoint: Is Iowa past its biggest test?

Two DI staffers debate if Iowa will face a bigger challenge than one they have passed this season.

No

Before I begin my argument, let me just say that it’s obviously no surprise to us that the Iowa football team is having a solid season thus far.

The Hawkeyes are 5-0 and more importantly, 1-0 in the conference. Iowa has won four nonconference games, three of them by wide margins, and won a sloppy game against Wisconsin. While many may think the 10-6 win against the Badgers was a test for the Hawks, it wasn’t.

Sure, the Hawkeyes are ranked No. 22 in the nation, and the game was a big win, considering it was the first in Madison since 2009.

But, the true test will come against No. 13 Northwestern on Oct. 17 for possibly first place in the Big Ten West Division.

The Wildcats, who have an identical record to Iowa’s, recently downed Minnesota and held it to 0 points. The Wildcats also held No. 16 ranked Stanford to just 6 points. Their defense is paramount to say the least and here’s why.

So far this season the No. 13 program is giving up 247.4 total yards per game, which is good for second in the Big Ten. Some may say Iowa and Northwestern have solid defenses this season, but the Wildcats have dominated on the defensive side of the ball.

I imagine this game being a tough, physical, and low-scoring contest. It’ll all come down to the defense, and it’ll surely be one to look out for after Iowa plays Illinois.
— by Mario Williams

Yes

The win over Wisconsin last weekend to secure a 5-0 record for the Hawkeyes was proof to many that Iowa has stepped up its game this season.

The victory was a milestone for the Hawkeyes; they beat Wisconsin in a defensive struggle and secured a 5-0 record for the first time since 2009.

Wisconsin is the toughest team that Iowa will face this season, making the victory over the Badgers all the more important.

Coming into the Heartland Game, Wisconsin was sitting at 3-1. It lost its first game to Alabama, 35-17, but quickly bounced back, crushing Miami (Ohio), 58-0, Troy, 28-3, and Hawaii, 28-0.

Although Wisconsin lost to Alabama, it doesn’t mean it’s not a good team. Even more, it isn’t often a team gives up only 3 points in three games.

When Iowa faced Wisconsin, the Badgers only allowed 10 points to an offense that has scored 27 points or more in each previous game. The Hawks defeated North Texas, 62-16.

Iowa will next face Illinois, which is 4-1 and barely beat Nebraska dropping the Huskers to 2-3. The Hawks shouldn’t have a tough time beating the Illini.

The only other team that could be a threat to the Hawkeyes is Northwestern, currently also 5-0.

While the Wildcats are unbeaten, they have only beaten teams by 10 points or fewer with the exception of two shutouts against Western Illinois and Minnesota.

Iowa will not face another powerhouse football team such as Wisconsin for the rest of the season. Teams such as Illinois and Northwestern may start out the season well against nonconference teams, but in the end, they fizzle out against Big Ten matchups.
— by Rod Engblom