Payne: Beathard not there yet

Iowa quarterback C.J. Beathard runs with the ball at Camp Randall Stadium in Madison, Wisconsin on Saturday, Oct. 3, 2015. The Hawkeyes defeated the Badgers, 10-6. (The Daily Iowan/Rachael Westergard)

The Wisconsin game showed us C.J. Beathard isn’t the lord and savior — at least not yet.

By Danny Payne

MADISON, Wisconsin — All season, you and I have talked about how great C.J. Beathard is. The big arm, the timely plays, we’ve seen it all from the gunslinger in 2015.

Yes, No. 22 Iowa won, but after watching Iowa’s 10-6 victory at Wisconsin Oct. 3, let’s pump the brakes, at least for now. Yes, Iowa won, and that’s the important thing. However, Beathard did not have his best day — that could be an understatement.

The junior finished his afternoon 9-of-21 with a touchdown and a pick, and added 19 yards via 9 carries on the ground. He also fumbled twice but lost only one. Not great numbers, especially considering his outstanding 18-for-21, 278-yard, 2-touchdown performance the week before.

Although they weren’t good, it’s not so much the numbers that are worrisome — every quarterback has a bad game every now and then, and Beathard was under pressure seemingly all afternoon — it’s the stage it came on that’s at least a bit troubling.

Wisconsin was supposed to be the game in which Iowa proved its legitimacy against the defending Big Ten West champion — a big stage, so to speak. Some, including me, thought he would continue his pace against the Badgers, proving that he is, in fact, the real deal.

100315fb

He was unable to do so. We didn’t see the same ability to make something out of nothing that we saw in the nonconference schedule, we didn’t see him consistently connect with any receivers for big gains — the only two were beautifully thrown seam routes to Matt VandeBerg for a combined 41 yards. Outside of that and a well-timed play-action touchdown to George Kittle, Beathard and the team weren’t able to do anything substantial in the air.

Because that came against a Big Ten defense, not one of Iowa’s four lowly nonconference opponents, Hawkeye fans should have at least a shred of worry in the back of their minds.

To be fair, one game is one game, and Wisconsin owns one of the best defenses Iowa will face this season. Beathard was without his best receiver in Tevaun Smith, who will likely miss the remaining two games before Iowa’s bye week with a knee injury.

On top of that, the wind was playing tricks in Camp Randall Stadium, and Iowa’s game plan was clearly to run more than to pass.

With all things considered, however, Beathard has to be more effective than he was Oct. 3 if Iowa wants to have legitimate success this season. This week’s Homecoming game against Illinois should be no problem; the Illini aren’t that great, so that could be a good opportunity for Beathard to get back in a groove before a game with Northwestern in two weeks that could decide the Big Ten West champion.

It wasn’t a terrible performance in Madison, but there is room to improve and make a few more plays. Hopefully for Iowa, he can learn from some of the missed chances against the Badgers, because it’ll be tough for the Hawkeye defense to have a game like Oct. 3’s every week.

We know how good Beathard can be, but the Wisconsin game wasn’t indicative of his potential.

It’s only one contest, but his early play will be for naught if games similar to that one pile up.

Follow @dannyapayne on Twitter for Iowa football news, updates, and anlaysis.