Field hockey falls to Northwestern

Iowa midfielder Isabella Licciardello tries to stop Stanford forward Marisa Cicione during the Iowa-Stanford game at Grant Field on Thursday, Sept. 10, 2015. The Hawkeyes were defeated Cardinals, 3-2 after getting a side goal with zero seconds left. (The Daily Iowan/Kyle Close)

The Iowa field-hockey team came up short yet again against a conference opponent. It was a rusty game for the Hawkeyes, and No. 14 Northwestern blew them away, 4-0.

It was all the Wildcats in the first half; they outshot the Hawkeyes 10-2, scored a goal, and earned 9 penalty corners while Iowa didn’t earn any.

In the second half, things were a bit different, but the Hawkeyes didn’t seem to execute on shots. They outshot the Wildcats, 7-5, and earned 5 penalty corners but struggled to score.

Junior Stephanie Norlander tried to put points on the board in the 29th minute when the ball passed a number of defenders, but the ball hit the crossbar.

Norlander was held scoreless for the first time this season. The Wildcats scored 3 goals in the second half to win going away.

The Hawks will continue their road trip against No. 16 Michigan on Friday and Central Michigan on Oct. 11.
— by Mario Williams