Point/counterpoint: Do you buy Iowa?

Iowa Hawkeyes fullback Macon Plewa (42) and running back Jordan Canzeri (33) celebrate against Pittsburgh in Kinnick Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 19, 2015. The Hawkeyes beat the Panthers, 27-24. (The Daily Iowan/Joshua Housing)

Two DI staffers debate whether Iowa’s early season success is legitimate.

Yes

Remember how six, seven, eight years ago, it was just a given that the Hawkeyes were going to be in the top 25 each week? That they had a legitimate shot at a January bowl game each year?
Doesn’t this year kind of have that same feel? It does to me. I’m buying into the Hawkeyes.
Iowa went unblemished in the nonconference for the first time since 2009. The Hawkeyes, of course, went on to win the Orange Bowl in that season.

This year’s team has shown similar characteristics to the Stanzi-led team in 2009. The current Hawkeyes have engineered game-winning drives in the fourth quarter twice, against Iowa State and Pittsburgh.

If you remember 2009, that team was hardly dominant in the nonconference. It took two blocked field goals in the final seconds to beat Northern Iowa, and the Hawks squeaked out a 24-21 win over Arkansas State in Kinnick Stadium.

Finding ways to win early in the season is just as telling as blowing out each opponent.

C.J. Beathard seems to have the “it” factor you look for in a quarterback. As limited as the playbook was last season, it is wide open this year. Defenses can’t load eight or nine guys in the box and not think twice about it anymore. Iowa has a legitimate deep threat in Tevaun Smith and a guy in Beathard who can get him the ball.

Jordan Canzeri and a healthy LeShun Daniels Jr. put more fear into defenses than Mark Weisman running stretch right every play as well.

A real quarterback and a couple of real running backs have this team moving toward a very good season.
— by Blake Dowson

No

Iowa football hasn’t proven anything.

In fact, the road to its 4-0 record has been filled with anything but confidence boosters.

Iowa’s biggest win was against Pittsburgh, which is No. 63 in the CBSsports ranking of 128 Division-I teams. That win came on a 57-yard field-goal prayer as time expired. A good kick but a very tight game.

The football powerhouse that is Iowa State — which has posted one winning season in the last 10 years — was tied with the Hawkeyes until two minutes left in the game.

Iowa has counted on the big-play factor to carry them to this 4-0 start.

Against Iowa State, a long touchdown reception followed by a Desmond King interception sealed the deal. Against Pitt, the Hawkeyes relied on two King interceptions, a great Tevaun Smith catch, and an unbelievable kick to get the victory.

Against No. 120 North Texas, Iowa’s 62-16 victory was entirely thanks to a horrible outing by the Mean Green.

The Mean Green gained 356 yards, nearly coming within 100 yards of the Hawkeyes’ total. Lucky for Iowa, though, North Texas mistakes led to the Hawkeyes returning two interceptions for touchdowns and starting several drives on the North Texas side of the field.

The defense has shown holes in coverage and gaps at the line of scrimmage to four teams whose best ranking is No. 63; those teams just are not good enough to win big games.

So far, the Hawkeyes have won four games thanks to mistakes. As Iowa enters Big Ten play, those mistakes will not necessarily happen. Opponents will exploit the weaknesses and win the games.
— by Mason Clarke