Iowa Women’s Tennis Eyes success in purdue

Iowa tennis players Annette Dohanics volleys the ball during the Iowa-Iowa State match in the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreational Complex on Friday, Feb. 6, 2015. Dohanics and Talcott defeated Cassens and Gasparovic in doubles, 6-3. The Hawkeyes knock off the Cyclones in the Iowa Corn Cy-Hawks series, 4-1. (The Daily Iowan/Margaret Kispert)

By Mason Clarke

With a smaller squad than last weekend, Iowa looks to obtain more success at the Purdue Invitational than they did at Furman.

Hawkeye players Natalie Looney, Aimee Tarun, Zoe Douglas, and Adorabol Huckleby will be competing from Friday to Sunday at the Purdue Invitational in West Lafayette, Indiana.

Purdue will host nine other teams, including Iowa, Kansas, Louisville, Memphis, Miami (OH), Mississippi State, Notre Dame, and Big Ten foes Michigan State and Illinois.

The competition is going to be very beatable. Among all ten teams, the only top-100 rated athlete will be No. 83 Georgiana Patrasc of Mississippi State.

While this sounds promising, do not blow off the other teams. This is an invite-only tournament, and the Hawkeyes are sure to be put to the test in every match they play.

“The Purdue Invite is another opportunity to compete against strong teams and players,” head coach Katie Dougherty said in a release. “It’s a quick turnaround from Furman and we’ll be looking to build off what we learned there last weekend.”

Last weekend at Furman, Iowa faced many of the best teams in the nation. The Hawkeyes came out with a losing record, but showed signs of potential and finished the tournament strong.

This weekend, look for the team to make a name for themselves and maybe even come out with a winning record.