Iowa heads to the ITA All-American qualifying tournament

Iowa tennis player Robin Haden practices on the outdoor Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation courts on Wednesday, Sept. 2, 2015. Haden transferred from Mississippi. (The Daily Iowan/Margaret Kispert)

The Hawkeyes look to make an impact in Tulsa this weekend.

By Blake Dowson

The Iowa men’s tennis team is set to travel to Tulsa, Oklahoma this weekend to compete in the ITA All-American qualifying tournament.

The Hawkeyes will send four players to the tournament: senior Dom Patrick, junior Robin Haden, and sophomores Lefteris Theodorou and Jake Jacoby. Patrick, Theodorou, and Jacoby all competed in the tournament last year for the Black and Gold.

The qualifying tournament will feature some of the best college tennis players in the nation, and presents an opportunity for the Hawkeyes to play against ranked competition.

“This tournament is a chance for our guys to get some ranked wins,” head coach Ross Wilson said. “Our goal is to have some exposure there.”

At last year’s tournament, all three Hawkeyes suffered losses in the first round of play. Patrick and Theodorou fought back to earn wins in the consolation bracket. Jacoby was winless at the tournament.

Jacoby said it was an eye-opening experience for him.

“It showed me that while you’re training hard there are a lot people in the country training hard as well and you have to stay with them and improve at the same rate or better than they are or you’re going to get left behind,” Jacoby said in a release. “There are a lot of good players out there so I can appreciate the level that there is in college tennis.”

The Hawkeyes head back this year with a lot more experience under their belt, something Wilson said played into the decision on who to send. With that experience, Patrick is looking for results from himself and his teammates.

“I’m expecting a lot of good tennis,” Patrick said. “But our main goal is to win a lot of matches. With the four guys we’re taking, we have a good chance to do that.”

The trip to Tulsa will be the first opportunity for the Hawkeyes to put their summer training to the test. The ITA qualifying tournament will be host to some of the best competition the Hawkeyes see all year, fall or spring.

Wilson said he is looking for his guys to get into the qualifying rounds of the tournament and play into the following Monday.

If any Iowa players get to Monday, they will no doubt get a shot against a ranked opponent, and an opportunity to shine on the national stage.

Assistant coach Ty Schaub leaves

Assistant coach Ty Schaub has left the program and accepted the same position at the University of San Diego. Schaub was brought on last season when Wilson was named head coach of the Hawkeyes. The two were collegiate teammates at Ohio State.

Former Iowa tennis player Matt Hagan, a first-team all Big Ten selection a year ago, has been named a student assistant coach for the Hawkeyes in Schaub’s absence.

Hagan was a nationally ranked player for the Hawkeyes last season, and won a Big Ten doubles title with Patrick in the fall of 2014.

Follow @B_Dows4 for news, updates and analysis of the Iowa men’s tennis team.