Women Build celebrates skills

A painted door stands next to racks of donated sinks in Habitat for Humanity’s ReStore Space in Iowa City, Iowa on Tuesday, Sep. 29, 2015. Habitat for Humanity is currently hosting Women Build, a program for women who want to learn construction skills and help out with community building projects. (The Daily Iowan/Brooklynn Kascel)

The Iowa Valley Habitat for Humanity is hosting its annual Women Build to recognize women leadership in volunteering.

By Sandra Omari-Boateng

Every year, the Iowa Valley Habitat for Humanity turns its attention specifically to women — encouraging them to learn how to build a house.

The Women Build is a Habitat for Humanity initiative aimed at teaching women the construction skills necessary for such a project and taking those skills elsewhere.

“The Women Build helps motivate women, even though it might be out of their comfort zone,” said Audrie Davis, the secretary for the University of Iowa Campus Chapter. “There are many great building projects, but this one specifically adds empowerment to the project.”

The UI chapter and Iowa chapter work together on this and other projects.

This year is the seventh-annual Women Build and will specifically benefit a family that has had issues with overcrowding in their past homes.

Cherie Cool-Rudd, a volunteer coordinator with the Iowa Valley group, said this is a common issue among families in the area.

“Overcrowding is the biggest issue in Johnson County and we are trying to help get families into more spacious and safe housing,” she said. “We also make the families help build on projects and take a year long class on how to be good homeowners.”

Cool-Rudd said this is a good opportunity each year to recognize their women volunteers.

“Women Build is encouraging women to step out of their comfort zone and to learn skills,” she said. “Men are allowed to come help but there is a specialized focus on women and about 80 percent of the work done is by the women.”

Each year the Women Build Committee recognizes an honoree and this year they chose Mary Palmberg for her work in the community during her career.

Palmberg was the director of Free Lunch Program and has also worked as an equal-rights activist. She is an active volunteer with Table to Table.

Traditionally, the build is then named after the honoree and they help get people to volunteer and donate toward the projects.

This year, the monetary fundraising goal for this project was $50,000 and this week the project accomplished that goal. They also applied for a grant that matched $75,000 if they met their goal.

While the UI chapter is involved in the current Women Build, it is also raising money for it and other projects.

Last year, the campus chapter donated at least $1,200 to the Iowa Valley Habitat for Humanity. This year, its goal is $2,000, and it also has a grant that will match an additional $2,000 if it reaches its goal.

Ryan Negoski, the Habitat for Humanity campus chapter co-president, said the best thing about the Habitat organization is participants don’t have to have prior building knowledge.

“The Women Build allows anyone regardless of gender but it promotes women to build and to not be left behind in a male-driven field,” he said. “It is made to make them feel comfortable.”