Patrick shines as leader

Iowa tennis player Robin Haden practices on the outdoor Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation courts on Wednesday, Sept. 2, 2015. Haden transferred from Mississippi. (The Daily Iowan/Margaret Kispert)

Dom Patrick epitomizes what it means to be a Hawkeye tennis player.

By Blake Dowson

Different types of people can be described as leaders.

There are vocal leaders, people who lead by example, and people who are simply inspiring.

Dom Patrick is all the above for the Iowa men’s tennis team.

“Dom means everything to this program,” head coach Ross Wilson said. “He has helped build the culture of the team. He competes, he cares, he’s everything you want in a player.”

Patrick is the lone senior on this year’s squad and has gladly shouldered the load of team captain and leader.

The senior from Gilbert, Arizona, has long taken pride in working with the younger players on the team and developing them into better tennis players.

“I want to show the young guys how to get it done by spring,” Patrick said. “Bringing the young guys to a point where they don’t need to be talked to during a match is important.”

Teammates of Patrick love the level of energy he brings every day and the emotional support he lends.

“He’s not only a leader on the court with the level of tennis he plays, he’s also a great emotional and vocal leader,” sophomore Jake Jacoby said. “He pumps himself and the whole team up during practice, fall tournaments, and spring dual matches.”

Patrick has shown a level of commitment to the program that Wilson said he hopes others try to reciprocate.

The Arizona native has spent every summer in Iowa City working on his game and becoming a better all-around player.

For as good as Patrick is at leading his teammates, he has turned into all that and more on the court.

“Through his commitment, Dom has turned into a great tennis player,” Wilson said. “He’s athletic and strong, and his forehand has turned into a weapon for him. He keeps balls in play, he has an improved serve, and he’s finishing at the net. He has it all.”

Patrick spent much of last season playing in the No. 1 singles position for the Hawkeyes.

Patrick has also helped Wilson out immensely with recruiting. Wilson said the passion Patrick has for the program is obvious when he is talking to recruits and their parents.

“When I visited here, I was a pretty good junior player,” Patrick said. “The guys were so nice to me on my visit. When I came here, I wanted to help the program. Helping with recruiting is one of the best ways to help build the program.”

Replacing Patrick may prove to be an impossible task for Wilson next season, but he said his lone senior has helped to create a program that is built to pass the torch to the next line of seniors.

Next in line are Nils Hallestrand and Robin Haden, two childhood friends from Sweden, who Wilson said are more than capable of leading the team.

“You see guys like Dom, and that’s the expectation for a leader,” Wilson said. “Our programs are being built on seniors. Hopefully, Nils and Robin fall into place. And we’re working on it every day, being more vocal and working on what we want them to do.”

The Iowa tennis program has been steadily improving since Patrick stepped on campus, something he takes pride in.

When asked about what he wanted his legacy to be, the leader of the Hawkeyes went straight to the program he has helped build.

“I want to leave Iowa at a higher spot than last year,” Patrick said. “We’ve gotten better each year I’ve been here, and I think that’s going to continue after I leave.”

Although Patrick won’t be around next year, and Wilson may not be able to replace him on the court and in the locker room, he has created a mold for future players to be shaped in. And that’s invaluable.

“Dom Patrick is Iowa tennis,” Wilson said. “He is a finished product. He is what we want every player to become.”

Follow @B_Dows4 for Iowa men’s tennis news, updates, and analysis.