Quotables: What Iowa players had to say — 9/29

Each week the Hawkeye football players meet with media to discuss anything and everything. With the opening of Big Ten play, a good portion of this weeks chatter was about Wisconsin.

Iowa heads to Madison this weekend, with the game slated to start Saturday at 11 a.m. on ESPN.

By Jordan Hansen

Austin Blythe, center

On a question about running back Jordan Canzeri: “I don’t know much about running backs, that might be a better question for him.”

What jumps out to him about Wisconsin? “Their physicality and discipline on defense. They have a lot of guys that like to play.”

He also mentioned their front seven: “Their entire front seven are solid players… they want to make plays.”

Josey Jewell, linebacker

On the Camp Randall atmosphere: “I personally like going over to a place where there’s a bunch of fans against you and showing them wrong.”

No one is guessing about what Wisconsin is going to do: “They’re going to try and run the ball right up our throats.”

C.J. Beathard, quarterback

On the Badger defense: “They don’t make many mistakes. We got a great respect for them and in order for us to win, we’re going to have to come out and play our best football.”

On road games: “Honestly I like playing away games like this. Hostile environments, it’s kind of fun going in there, everyone is against you. It’s us against everyone else.”

They want the Heartland Trophy back, too: “We haven’t had the trophy in a long time and we have to go in there and play our best and get the trophy back.”

Jordan Canzeri, running back

Canzeri wants to get things going early: “We don’t want to go in there slow, we want to get the ball rolling right away.

On picking up blitzes: “As a running back, it’s just a skill you have to have. You don’t want to just be able to run the ball; you want to be good in all areas. Pass protection is huge.

On starting the conference schedule: “It’s finally time, it’s finally here. We’ve been waiting.”

Follow @JordyHansen on Twitter for news, updates, and analysis about the Iowa football team.