Explosive plays carry Hawks over the thin Green line

The Hawkeyes had four long touchdowns that helped set the tone of the game.

By Jordan Hansen

Against North Texas on Sept. 26, Iowa made nearly all the big plays in the Hawkeye’s 62-16 win over the Mean Green in Kinnick.

Of the Hawkeyes’ 9 touchdowns, four (two offensive and two defensive) were from 34-yards out or longer. In addition, Iowa returner Desmond King had 180 return yards, 71 on punts and 109 on kick offs.

Granted North Texas is not a particularly good team (honestly, that’s being nice; it’s baaaad) but taking the big plays into the end zone is a major bonus for Iowa.

“It causes excitement,” running back Jordan Canzeri said. “To see those type of plays come from everywhere, it’s awesome.”

Canzeri, who had 4 touchdowns and 115 rushing yards was a major component in many of those chunk-yardage plays. He had five runs of more than 10 yards and averaged better than 5 yards per touch.

Senior wide receiver Tevaun Smith also had a huge day, catching 4 passes for 115 yards, including an 81-yard touchdown that broke North Texas’ back in the second quarter.

Part of Smith’s big-play success was because of his chemistry with Beathard. The quarterback has been more than willing to go down the field with the ball and has been accurate in doing so.

Against North Texas, Beathard went 18-of-21 for 278 yards and 2 touchdowns.

“He’s getting more confidence — and so am I — in all the receivers,” Smith said. “The more of those deep throws that we make, the more he’s going to throw it.”

Tight end George Kittle had a huge 43-yard touchdown on an out route in the second quarter and another 19-yard catch later.

The message is clear. Beathard looks down the field, and if a player is open, he’ll throw it on target.

“I think there is a there is a chemistry that develops,” Iowa head coach Kirk Ferentz said. “It comes from good practice and good habits.”

Two Iowa interceptions returned for touchdowns ensured the defensive players would get some big-play recognition as well.

Hawks Bo Bower and Josey Jewell each scored on interception returns of 88 yards and 34, respectively. Both of those were in the fourth quarter when the game was far out of reach, but they put the whipped cream on the key-lime pie in a solid defensive outing.

‘They have big-play talent on their football team,’ North Texas coach Dan McCarney said. ‘We were plus-2 at halftime [in turnover margin], and then the turnover margin was suddenly minus-1 at the end of the game.’

With the nonconference portion of the Hawkeyes’ schedule over, whether these big plays translate to Big Ten play will be something to watch.

For what it’s worth, however, the feeling around the Iowa locker room is that big plays are here to stay. Beathard to Smith is a very real connection, and the defense taking away the ball is absolutely huge for the Hawkeyes.

Ferentz seemed to be pleased with the performance of the team after the first four games. From the look of the explosive product on the field, it’s hard to argue with that assessment.

“[The team] showed up today ready to play,” he said. “We are really pleased about finishing this game and this month in a strong fashion, and we’ll turn our sights toward Big Ten play as we get going tomorrow.”

Follow @JordyHansen for news, updates, and analysis of the Iowa football team.