Soul music breaks barriers

By Jasmine Putney

With soul and rhythm that carries from the ears down to the dancing feet, music has the inexplicable ability to transcend social and economic barriers. But whether that power is used is solely determined by the artist.      At 9:30 p.m. Friday, Las Cafeteras will perform at the Mill, 120 E. Burlington St. Known for its unique blend of classic and modern Latin styles, the Spanglish band consists of seven members. Hancher will host the event as a prelude to the University of Iowa Spring 2016 theme semester “Just Living,” which explores the concept of social justice in society.     
The group is on the frontlines of the social-justice conversation in its community in East Los Angeles, and it will be able to contribute to the ongoing conversation in Iowa City in an entertaining way, said Hancher Marketing Director Rob Cline.    

“The music is very engaging and upbeat and exciting and has those diverse elements that make it different from your run-of-the-mill rock band,” Cline said. “It has an interesting combination of influences from different styles of music from Mexico and the United States. ”

The band members have spoken out about social issues, including immigration, education, health care, and women’s rights. They have paid respect to the latter by adopting the feminine form (in Spanish) of the band name despite having men in the band. They were inspired by their community in East Los Angeles to integrate these messages into their music, vocalist Leah Gallegos said. 

“In general, what we’re trying to do is tell our stories and through storytelling build solidarity in our community,” she said. “We really try to show that we’re all people, we’re all human beings, and there are basic rights. We’re talking about how to build a better world, where we’re safe … and how we can all be people who are treated with dignity and respect.”

The performance by Las Cafeteras is being sponsored in part by the Iowa Arts Council, which provided Hancher a grant to bring the band to Iowa City. Hancher Programming Director Jacob Yarrow said he first heard the group when his father sent him its CD. Yarrow immediately became interested in bringing the band to Iowa City, he said. 

“They’re trying to build fans for their band, but even more so, they’re trying to build allies for their causes,” he said.

The band was welcomed to a weeklong residency at the University of Iowa, at which the members were able to discuss in Q&A panels the artistic and business sides of their jobs.

“This is actually our first time in the Midwest and our début in Iowa,” Gallegos said. “What we do is not just about us performing and people receiving it; we also want to hear the stories and experiences of the people.”

Yarrow said Hancher looks to book musicians who are both in tune and in time with the world and their music. With no hesitation, he said Las Cafeteras fit very well into this model of an ideal performing artist.

“I don’t know how anybody doesn’t just fall in love with this band when they seem them,” he said. “They’re just beautiful, generous people who want to connect with people.”

MUSIC
What: Las Cafeteras
When: 9:30 p.m., Friday
Where: Mill, 120 E. Burlington
Admission: $10-$20