Offense fuels field hockey’s success

Iowa midfielder Makenna Grewe and other players wait for Rutgers after an Iowa goal at Grant Field on Friday, Sept. 18, 2015. The Hawkeyes defeated the Scarlet Knights, 4-3. (The Daily Iowan/Joshua Housing)

A look in the numbers of the Iowa field-hockey team’s offense.

By Mario Williams

The Iowa field-hockey team is off to a hot 6-3 start (4-1 home, 1-0 in the Big Ten), and that’s because of its hot offense.

Say what you want about the young Hawkeye team, but a few key numbers back them up.

Goals per game: 3.44

As a team thus far this season, the Hawkeyes have racked up a total of 31 goals, good for first in the Big Ten. This feat hasn’t come easily for the Hawkeyes, though. They’ve played aggressively, chiefly No. 6 Stanford, Rutgers, and Missouri State and put up impressive goals in those contests.

Most of the team’s goals have come from its leading scorer, junior Stephanie Norlander. The forward/midfielder has made 10 goals, good for first in the Big Ten. Freshman Makenna Grewe follows with 7.

Aside from these two, seven other Iowa players have at least scored 1 goal. This is fair, given that many Hawks have seen much game time and are able to put goals on the board.

If the team continues the success in scoring at the rate it’s at now, it will be a force to be reckoned with in the conference.

Assists per game: 3.67

Teamwork has definitely been the name of the game. Team passing and awareness of the field have been key to its success.

Grewe leads the team with 8 assists, good for first in the conference, and she’s been fierce when passing to her teammates.

As a whole, the team has 33, good for first in the conference.

Shots taken per half: 1st: 53 2nd: 89

If there’s one thing about the Hawks, they aren’t afraid to shot the ball in their opponents’ way. It may be by earning penalty corners or by shooting it directly to the goalkeeper in the circle on the field.

In the Big Ten, many teams shoot most of their shots in the second half, and Iowa has done a fine job with doing that. The team usually gets off to a slow start but come out in the second ready to execute, and the numbers prove that. This also may be good for the team, because most of its opponents outshoot the Hawkeyes in the first half and usually don’t in the second.

The team has taken 144 shots so far this season, third in the Big Ten, behind Northwestern and Maryland. Norlander contributes much of that success with  the41 shots she’s taken thus far this season. Those 41 shots are good for second place in the Big Ten.

The Iowa players have proved that they’re not afraid to take shots at the goal. Iowa head coach Lisa Cellucci always stresses the importance of shooting and making those shots.

As the season progresses and as the Hawkeyes compete against more conference opponents, things will get interesting to see if they can exceed their current numbers.