‘A new me’

Iowa head coach Kirk Ferentz gets interviewed after the Iowa-Illinois State game in Kinnick on Saturday, Sept. 5, 2015. The Hawkeyes defeated the Redbirds, 31-14. (The Daily Iowan/Margaret Kispert)

Iowa head coach Kirk Ferentz and his players met with the media Tuesday.

By Danny Payne

‘A new me’

So far this season, Iowa fans have witnessed all sorts of new wrinkles on special teams. Kicker Marshall Koehn has 25 rushing yards as the Hawkeyes have attempted fake field goals twice in three games. Iowa actually has a punt-return game — not a fair-catch game — this year with a new return scheme.

The most recent change, however, came against Pittsburgh in the form of a rugby punt from Koehn, not punter Dillon Kidd. Head coach Kirk Ferentz, who has been critical of the rugby punt, watched his kicker pin Pittsburgh at its own 4-yard line early in the first quarter via a 64-yard boot.

“It’s just kind of a different punt look, to keep teams off balance, off guard,” Koehn said. “It’s something we wanted to get in there to show teams, to make teams prepare for something else.”

But perhaps what’s more intriguing than the punt itself has been Ferentz’s willingness to change after a disappointing 2014.

“It’s a new me,” Ferentz said. “We had an open mind back in January, more so in February, March, April. What can we do to be better? I don’t think we look totally different right now as a football team.

“If we can make some tweaks and little changes that are going to help us and be advantageous, then, yeah, we’re open to it.”

Those words should be exciting to Iowa fans. Ferentz saw a need to take a look at certain parts of his program, and implemented the changes he found necessary.

Iowa is 3-0, and those changes are working.

Personnel updates

After sustaining injuries against Iowa State, defensive end Drew Ott (elbow) and running back LeShun Daniels, Jr. (ankle) should be feeling better by the time Iowa’s game with North Texas Saturday, Ferentz said.

Both played against the Panthers but were largely ineffective. Ott didn’t register a tackle, and Daniels carried the ball 9 times, only managing 17 yards. Tuesday, Ferentz gave an update on their status for North Texas.

“They’re both practicing right now on a limited basis,” Ferentz said. “They’re not 100 percent, but hopefully by Saturday, they’ll be close to it, if not there. The big idea is not to go backwards.”

The other face Hawkeye fans might see returning soon is tight end Jake Duzey.

The senior went through warm-ups Sept. 19 and stayed in the team hotel the night before the game to get re-acclimated to the pregame routine. He’s been sidelined since spring practice with a knee injury and began football activities last week.

“I doubt he’ll go this week,” Ferentz said “We’re moving closer, and we’re all pleased to see him get more involved.”

Krieger Coble’s role

In the absence of Duzey, Iowa has had to find production from other tight ends. While they were virtually absent in the opener against Illinois State, one tight end in particular has come to life the last two games — Henry Krieger Coble.

Krieger Coble had his best game of the season against Pittsburgh, making 5 catches for 48 yards. Even more, three of those grabs resulted in first downs for Iowa.

For Ferentz, that’s nothing new.

“I’ve told pro scouts over the last five years nobody has made more tough catches in practice than Henry,” Ferentz said. “So with Jake out, it was a blow to us, but I think all of us were confident that Henry would play very well, and he’s done that.”

What Krieger Coble’s role will be when Duzey comes back is still in question. Perhaps Duzey will pick up right where he left off and take the majority of the tight end’s catches.

Perhaps the Hawkeyes will find a way to effectively utilize both players in the passing game — it’s a good problem to have.

It’s something to think about down the road, after North Texas.

“Since it was a night game and everything, it took all of Sunday [to get over,” Krieger Coble said. “At this point, we’ve definitely moved on to North Texas, and we’re definitely ready to go.”