Instant Reaction: Iowa 27, Pittsburgh 24

Iowa Hawkeyes running back Jordan Canzeri (33) celebrates after scoring a touchdown against Pittsburgh Panthers in Kinnick Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 19, 2015. The Hawkeyes lead the Panthers, 17-7. (The Daily Iowan/Joshua Housing)

The Iowa football team beat Pittsburgh 27-24

By Danny Payne

What a game. Can’t ask for much more from an entertainment standpoint if you’re a fan. Tied in the fourth quarter, Iowa took it 80 yards on 11 plays, and Jordan Canzeri scored. Pittsburgh then took it 75 yards on 13 plays and found Tyler Boyd for the touchdown. The Hawks got the ball to the 39 before the clock ran out, and they attempted a field goal with the game tied at 24.

After being iced, Marshall Koehn NAILED it. 57 yards. Hawks win, 27-24.

We’ll have more later on this evening, but here are some quick observations.

• We know it, but C.J. Beathard is a gamer. Such a gamer. That touchdown drive in the fourth quarter was very, very gutsy. He finished the night 27-of-40 with 258 yards. He also rushed 8 times for 39 yards and a touchdown.As former DI Pregame Editor Ben Ross put it: “It is incomprehensible that he was not the starter last year.”
  • Iowa’s defense was very good all evening. Pitt’s frist offensive touchdown came on a short field, and the defense did a great job of being physical and not allowing Pitt to run the ball. The Panthers finished with only 55 rushing yards.
  • Iowa’s rushing game got going late in the contest, and Jordan Canzeri was a big part of that. He stepped up tonight as a senior should.
  • Nate Peterman was solid; give him credit. I think Pittsburgh has found its quarterback. No reason to give Chad Voytik the ball; Peterman is quality.
  • Koehn has a BOOT. My god. The winning field goal was the second-longest in school history.