Halftime: Iowa 17, Pittsburgh 7

Hawkeye quarterback C.J. Beathard gets a pass off under pressure from Pittsburgh’s Rori Biair on Saturday, Sept. 19, 2015. Beathard was only sacked once during the game. The Hawkeyes defeated the Pittsburgh Panthers 27-24 on a last second field goal. (The Daily Iowan/Sergio Flores)

At halftime in Kinnick Stadium, Iowa is leading Pittsburgh, 17-7.

By Danny Payne

Well, this is fun. The night game has a great atmosphere, the crowd is good, and I’m enjoying myself. Here are some observations about the first half:

• Pitt’s defense is bringing the HEAT. This is a stereotypical Pat Narduzzi defense. C.J. Beathard has been hurried on a fair number of plays, and he also received medical attention on his left hip/leg area. It’s fair to say he’ll have lots of bumps and bruises after this one.
  • The same goes for Jordan Canzeri. He’s taken a beating as well.
  • Desmond King can ball. The junior had two picks in the first quarter. On the first, he won a jump ball over future first-round draft pick Tyler Boyd. The second, King picked off Nate Peterman in the end zone.
  • This is awesome. Rod Oden was King’s high-school coach.

• Beathard had a very nice deep ball to Tevaun Smith for a gain of 51 yards that led to an Iowa touchdown.
  • Offensively, Pitt doesn’t look very good. It looks to have gone with Nate Peterman at quarterback instead of Chad Voytik.
  • Drew Ott and LeShun Daniels Jr. have both played, although it’s been sparingly.
  • If you haven’t heard, Brett Greenwood was honored before the game. Lots of tears happened. You can watch the video below.

• Iowa hasn’t been able to get much going in the running game. Outside of a 9-yard touchdown run for Beathard, the Hawks have 15 yards on 12 carries. The Panthers are forcing Beathard to make plays through the air, which he’s done a nice job of so far.
  • James Daniels played a good number of snaps at left guard in the first half, particularly the first quarter. Not sure if that’s an injury thing or a matchup thing. Keep an eye on it.
  • Below are the stats. We’ll have more as the game goes on, so be sure to follow us @dipregame, @dannyapayne, and @CharlsGreen.

Screen Shot 2015-09-19 at 8.37.05 PM