Mitchell suspended, quickly reinstated

Running back Derrick Mitchell, Jr. runs with the ball during the spring game on Saturday, April 25th, 2015. The Iowa offense and defense competed against each other in front of fans in Kinnick Stadium. The offense outscored the defense, 29-28. (The Daily Iowan/Rachael Westergard)

UPDATE: Backup sophomore running back Derrick Mitchell Jr. has been reinstated to the Iowa football team, head coach Kirk Ferentz said today at his weekly press conference.

Iowa officials announced yesterday that Mitchell had been suspended.

“Derrick has been suspended due to football program and student life Code of Conduct violation,” Iowa head coach Kirk Ferentz said in a university release. “This is not a legal issue. Derrick is working through the issues at hand in regards to being in good standing as a University of Iowa student.

“We will follow the established university protocol as we move forward.”

Mitchell has seen limited action in two games this season after seeing a bit of time last year as a redshirt freshman. The native of St. Louis native originally came to the program as a wide receiver, but he had recently made a move to running back and was widely expected to see time this season.