Hawkeye basketball legend Roy Marble dies at 48

Former Iowa basketball player Roy Marble claps after Iowa scored against Northwestern at Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Saturday, Mar. 7, 2015 in Iowa City, Iowa. The Hawkeyes defeated the Wildcats, 69-52. (The Daily Iowan/Joshua Housing)

Former Iowa basketball player Roy Marble has passed away
by Ian Murphy

Hawkeye basketball great Roy Marble, father of Devyn Marble, has died after a fight with cancer. He was 48.

Marble was diagnosed with cancer in August 2014. Marble is the only player in Hawkeye history to score 2,000 points.

“We are deeply saddened and mourn the loss of Roy Marble,” Iowa men’s basketball coach Fran McCaffery said in a release. “Roy has been a part of the Iowa basketball family for a long time, as one of the all-time best to play for the Hawkeyes and since then as a tremendous supporter of our program. When I was fortunate to become Iowa’s head coach, one of the first people to reach out to me was Roy, and we developed a close relationship. 

“Roy had a huge impact on Iowa basketball and was one of the elite players to ever wear a Hawkeye uniform. Roy will be missed by all of us in the Iowa basketball family. Our thoughts and prayers are with the Marble family during this difficult time.”

Iowa basketball assistant coach Kirk Speraw posted on Twitter that Hawkeye basketball had lost an all-time great in Marble.

Marble led the Hawkeyes to the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament as a sophomore and junior and led the Hawkeyes to a No. 1 school ranking in 1987. The Hawkeyes advanced to the Elite Eight that season before losing to UNLV. The Hawkeyes were 89-37 during Marble’s career.

The legend was honored on Senior Day last season. He remains the school record holder in points with 2,116 points in 134 games. He also had 668 career rebounds and 281 assists during his tenure.

“Roy Marble enjoyed an outstanding playing career for the Iowa Hawkeyes and is more than deserving of this recognition,” Iowa Athletics Director Gary Barta said in a media release before the ceremony. “While Roy’s number, or jersey, is not being retired today, we want to take this opportunity to express our appreciation for Roy’s contributions, and his dedication, to the Iowa basketball program.”

Marble is survived by his sons Devyn Marble, who played four years of basketball at Iowa from 2011-14 and is in the NBA’s Orlando Magic organization, and Carlo Royshaud Marble and Merrick Mackdanz-Marble. He also had two daughters, Roichelle Marble and Royonah Marble.

“This is a very sad day for everyone who is a fan of the Iowa Hawkeyes and, particularly, a fan of Hawkeye basketball. We will all miss Roy immensely. Our thoughts are with his family and friends,” Barta said.