Letter to the Editor

Demanding transparency from the Board of Regents

The discontent within the UI community is widespread. A chorus of voices have called into question the Board of Regents’ practices during the presidential search that led to the appointment of J. Bruce Harreld as the UI’s next president. Yet, it seems that all we can do now is wish President Harreld well as he embarks on an uphill battle caused by the regents’ actions. Nevertheless, too many questions surrounding the regents’ actions and influence regarding the search process remain. And it is time for those questions to be answered.

First, to what extent were the regents involved in preparing and pushing Harreld through the search committee’s process? Individuals close to the search have expressed concerns that regents personally prepared Harreld — but none of the other candidates — for his campus interactions.  If this is true, why did the regents mislead Iowans through the expensive and time-consuming process of a full-blown presidential search?

The UI community’s input was neither valued nor considered. The speed at which the selection process progressed signifies the regents’ intent. They scheduled their pick for the last public forum, leaving fewer than 48 hours between the forum’s end and the announcement of the regents’ selection of Harreld. In the past, voices from all corners of the UI campus have had an opportunity to be heard; it is now evident that the regents have no interest in anyone’s perspective but their own.

Why is this happening? This is antithetical to the shared governance model under which the UI operates. 

It is clear, now more than ever, that the regents have a specific agenda against the University of Iowa. Without a shift in the regents’ leadership, we will no doubt find ourselves in this situation again. Either the regents will tire of Harreld, should he resist their forceful hand, or Harreld will grow weary of the endless political chess game that one must play in dealing with the regents. In any case, it is time for answers. The regents demand transparency from Iowa’s regent institutions — Iowans now demand the same transparency from the regents.

— Concerned Hawkeye Alumni

Michael Appel, B.S., J.D.

Teresa Ball, M.S.N.

Jake Christensen, B.A.

Ben Gillig, B.A.

Emma Hashman, M.A.

Samuel Konchar, B.A., J.D.

Katherine Valde, B.A.