Football fines a long way from fine

Kyle Mann

Dear Kirk: Steer Clear of Old Man Beamer’s Pay-For-Late Policy
The plight of the student-athlete has been well-documented in recent years, and for various reasons, we’ve seen a growing

chorus of voices calling for monetary compensation for athletes. Regardless of one’s opinions about that idea, Virginia Tech’s recently exposed policy of fining players is a flat-out bitter circumvention of new NCAA rules and has no business being implemented anywhere else.

The NCAA recently penned new policies that allow a stipend of roughly a few thousand dollars to be distributed to athletes in order to assist with miscellaneous expenses outside of room, board, and tuition.

That, of course, was in reaction to the very modern ideology that many athletes already reap financial benefits of a full scholarship. However — with little free time outside of their respective athletics obligations and surely not enough to hold even a part-time job — former UConn basketball player Shabazz Napier made it known that he found it difficult at times to supply himself with a proper meal.

Napier wasn’t the first to touch on the financial downside for student-athletes, but his story resonated with people. The contingency for compensation gained enough momentum that the NCAA eventually agreed to give the athletes some spending money. Good for it.

Now, however, 68-year-old Virginia Tech head coach Frank Beamer has apparently taken a very grouchy-old-man stance toward his players’ increased budget. At least 16 “fineable offenses” for Hokie football players were exposed earlier this week, ranging from $5 for being late to study hall, $15 for misbehaving in class, to $50 for a dirty locker, and $100 for an unsportsmanlike penalty.

Listen, these players got some money. But are they anywhere near being considered, generally, “professionals”? Not at all. Fines are for employers to place on employees or some legitimate entity to place on absolute constituents. We’re talking about 18- to 22-year-old people right now, who have finally received a little bit of pocket change to make sure they can eat properly.

We’re talking about kids who wake up early to work out, then go to morning classes (at least the ones that they were able to enroll in, given their hectic schedule), only to catch a mandatory study hall, catch afternoon classes, and then have a practice to finish the day. Take a moment to consider not only the physical exhaustion but the mental fatigue that comes hand in hand with the rigors of playing a sport.

Wouldn’t we all be so ecstatic to know that we have somewhat of a security blanket, and that at the end of the day, we have some money to get a good meal?

Sike. Old Man Beamer’s going to flat-out punish us financially now, too.

Sure, the “I wouldn’t be complaining if I played Division I” argument is relatable but frankly outdated. They walk around tired, always with a next required task, and hardly any money.

Virginia Tech has no right to dip into its players’ pockets, and hopefully, we only need to have this conversation once.

Dear Kirk, preemptively, I want you to know this is a terrible idea. P.S. We struggle to recruit as it is.