Big Ten previews: Michigan

Eric Upchurch

Harbaugh looms over Michigan football

By Ryan Rodriguez

It might be tough to write a preview for Michigan football in 2015 and not have every other paragraph just read “Harbaugh, Harbaugh, Harbaugh.”

It wouldn’t be all that outlandish.

Sometimes the obvious story lines going into a season are obvious for a reason, though. On the eve of its first game of 2015, Michigan football has embraced the Harbaugh era full circle, even if it’s not exactly sure what’s coming next.

His presence has ensured fans a team that is anything but boring.

“Well, I don’t know. I don’t know [if I was expecting all the attention],” Harbaugh said. “Not striving to be creating any buzz. Just striving to coach the football team. Not trying to be popular or anything. Anyone who is popular is bound to be disliked. So just coaching football.”

Whether he wanted it or not, Harbaugh and Big Blue are suddenly the most intriguing team in the conference, save for maybe defending College Football Playoff champion and bitter rival Ohio State.

Harbaugh the man commands a presence that Harbaugh the coach most likely resents.

“What you see is what you get with Coach Harbaugh,” senior linebacker Joe Bolden said. “Perception is reality. It’s an enthusiastic, and passionate, and caring guy, believe it or not. That’s Coach Harbaugh to a T.”

Large personalities tend to get amplified by high-profile settings, and for a former NFL Coach of the Year coming off of a somewhat uneasy split from his NFL team, 2015 could shape up to be one of the most important of Harbaugh’s career.

Though you’d never guess that from talking to him.

“Well, I mean it’s like every year that your team changes, no matter what football team you’re on,” Harbaugh said. “And it’s a work in progress, every single season, every single year. And that’s what we’re enjoying doing. And it’s coming along.”

Change is one thing there has been plenty of in Ann Arbor the past six months. After all, the Wolverines have a new quarterback to go along with their new staff.

Former Iowa quarterback Jake Rudock is looking for a new lease on football life after his transfer to Michigan in the spring.

And while the quarterback race is expected to come to an end today, Harbaugh has begun instilling his attitude in all of his new players.

“We really like to break everything down in terms of why some guys are successful and why some aren’t,” senior wide receiver Jehu Chesson said. “For us, it comes down to consistency and a guy’s willingness to do what he needs to do.”

And personality or not, Harbaugh has a lot of his work cut out for him, particularly on offense.

Big Blue was anemic when it came to moving the ball last season, posting the second worst scoring offense in the Big Ten.

Harbaugh is big on setting goals for his team, both for the players on an individual level and as a unit. How his team responds to those goals will be reflected on the field everySaturday.

“Coach gives us little tools to complete the tasks we want to do,” Chesson said. “A lot of us make goals and resolutions, but how many people fade before they do them?”

Follow @ryanarod on Twitter for news, updates, and analysis about the Iowa football team.