First UI president finalist announced

Cora Bern-Klug
Krislov
Krislov

An Ohio liberal-arts college president selected as finalist.

By Chris Higgins

A private-college leader is set to vie for the University of Iowa presidency.

Oberlin College President Marvin Krislov will visit the UI campus today and will participate in a public forum as part of the presidential-search process.

Oberlin is a private liberal-arts college in Ohio with a student population of about 3,000. Krislov has served as president there since 2007 and also teaches political science.

Previously, Krislov served as vice president and counsel to the University of Michigan from 1998 to 2007. He has also served as a solicitor for the U.S. Department of Labor and associate counsel in the Office of Counsel to the U.S. president.

Krislov will participate in a forum 4:45-6:15 p.m. in the IMU Second-Floor Ballroom.

Additionally, Parker Executive Search has set up a formal website to allow for comment on Krislov as a finalist. Audio live streaming of the forum will be available on the UI website.

The three remaining finalists will be announced one day before their forums on Friday, Aug. 31, and Sept. 1. The 21-member Search Committee has been dissolved.

The announcement comes as the presidential search is reaching an end. On Sept. 1, the state Board of Regents is due to interview the four candidates and select a new president for the UI — who will not take office right away.

Vice President for Medical Affairs Jean Robillard is currently serving as UI interim president. Former President Sally Mason retired from the position at the end of July.