UI shows off its biomass

University hosts Biomass Fuel Project Field Day To showcase the progress of the on-campus Biomass Project.

By Nicholas Boose

Blocks away from the Pentacrest — in a quiet spot near the recreation fields — grows a plant that could change the future of energy consumption.

Currently, the University of Iowa uses 35 acres near the Hawkeye Commuter Lot for the growth of giant miscanthus.

“The giant miscanthus is a perennial grass, so at the frost of the third year the plant becomes cane-like,” said Liz Christiansen, the director of the UI Office of Sustainability. “In the spring, we begin to harvest the plant. Later, it is blended with coal. This increases the use of biomass fuel and reduces the use of fossil fuel.”

Biomass is material derived from living or recently living organisms, such as wood, often used for fuel.

The UI’s Biomass Fuel Project aims to improve the local economy and environment by substituting coal with locally grown sustainable biomass feedstock, such as the giant miscanthus. The goal is to have the university running on 40 percent renewable energy by 2020.

The UI held a media advisory Tuesday to showcase the project’s progress.

“We want the giant miscanthus plant to be part of the solution to achieve that goal,” Christiansen said.

The university has paired with farmers around the state to plant 360 acres of giant miscanthus. Associate Professor Emily Heaton is doing research for the UI’s Biomass Project from Iowa State University.

So far the cost of burning the grass is equivalent to the cost of burning coal, Christiansen said.

“We plan to take [the number of plants] and have it doubled next year,” Christiansen said. “We have to provide the market for landowners to want to grow giant miscanthus.”

The Sustainability Office is taking the steps to get giant miscanthus into the production stage for the UI. Once in production, giant miscanthus will be burned instead of fossil fuels to supply power, steam, and chilled water to the main campus.

Iowa City environmentalists said they are on board with the plan.

“I think it’s definitely a step in the right direction,” said Del Holland, the director of the Iowa City Environmental Advocates.

Ashton Newman, a media-relations representative for Mid-American Energy, said the company has no plans to pursue the use of giant miscanthus for energy production in Iowa City.

Mid-American continues expand wind energy in the state. The company has said it plans to add 1,050 megawatts of wind energy to Iowa by the end of 2015.

Christiansen said the university plans to build on its success in sustainability after winning the Iowa Governor’s Environmental Award, and giant miscanthus will continue to be a large part of its plans for its goals.

“The great thing about all of this is that we can grow energy here in the state of Iowa,” she said. “We don’t have to spend money outside of the state.”