New country, no problem

Iowa head coach Lisa Celluci reacts to a call made by the referees at Grant Field on Sunday, Oct. 12, 2014. Iowa defeated Miami, 3-1. (The Daily Iowan/John Theulen)

Isabella Brown, a New Zealand national, feels at home in Iowa.

By Mario Williams

For many freshman athletes, adapting to their new routines and lifestyles can be a challenge. For field-hockey midfielder Isabella Brown, that hasn’t been a problem so far.

The Merivale, New Zealand, native has found a place to call home for the next four years.

It began when second-year head coach Lisa Cellucci and her coaching staff got word from a friend and coach about Brown. The staff got ahold of her video footage, invited her to Iowa City for an official visit, and the rest was history.

“We got a chance to know her and thought she could do some great things for our program,” Cellucci said.

Brown’s first official visit was the first time she had visited the United States. She believes everything about being here is much different from home but finds that she’s transitioned pretty well.

“I knew it was going to be different, but I was still so excited,” she said. “I fit in perfectly fine here even though it’s different from home.”

The midfielder said that her current major — environmental policy and planning — is something she may change down the line, and she enjoys having that option.

“I love that I can pick and choose what I want and do what I really want to do,” Brown said.

Aside from Brown noting Iowa has a great program for her major, there were other factors that contributed to her decision to become a Hawkeye, including the feel of campus.

“It’s a massive university,” she said. “I talked to the coaches, and everyone was really nice to me, and so I didn’t have problems with finding my way around.

“That everyone was so nice and supportive helped me.”

So far, the freshman has played in two exhibition games against Louisville and Indiana, and she has impressed her coaches and teammates.

Brown got a feel to play the “American way” and noted there’s not much of a difference from how she played in New Zealand.

“Everything was still intense,” Brown said. “It was pretty special to put on the Black and Gold for the first time, and I really enjoyed it.”

Junior Stephanie Norlander, who has played some midfield with the freshman, said the two were also roommates this past weekend when the team traveled to Louisville. She got the chance to know her better, she said, and both of the athletes being from abroad helped.

“Her vision and just ability to pass the ball is really good,” Norlander said. “I’m so excited to see what else she has.”

This weekend, the team will travel to Ann Arbor, Michigan, to compete in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge in which they will play Wake Forest and North Carolina. Ceulluci has decided to place the freshman in the starting lineup.

“So far, she’s been exactly what we thought, and she’s been able to add to a big part of our game in the mid-field,” Cellucci said. “As she continues to get stronger and just gets used to our style of play, I think she’s going to be even more effective.”

Aside from the more serious aspects of the game, Brown has also found Iowa City cuisine and culture to be a little different from that at home. In fact, she has found her favorite place to eat — the Airliner.

“Who would’ve thought to put taco and pizza together,” Brown said. “It was really nice.”

Follow @Marioxwilliams on Twitter for news, updates, and analysis of the Iowa field-hockey team.