Ferentz, coordinators talk roster, uniforms

Iowa head coach Kirk Ferentz and his coordinators spoke with the media on Monday.

By Danny Payne

Although the Iowa football team doesn’t begin its season until Sept. 5 against Illinois State, the Hawkeyes had their first official practice Monday, as fall camp ended last week.

Head coach Kirk Ferentz, along with coordinators Greg Davis and Phil Parker met the media Monday morning, and shared the status of their team following camp.

Editor’s Note: This post will serve simply as an update on the team. Further analysis can be found in the DI’s 2015 Position Previews this week.

Offense

• Quarterbacks: Nothing super new here. Ferentz and Davis both stressed improvement and better decision-making from starter C.J. Beathard. Ferentz also joked Beathard needs to make the short walk to Banks Field and learn how to slide from head baseball coach Rick Heller.

Tyler Wiegers has improved significantly, according to the coaches. Behind him, the No. 3 quarterback is still undecided. In an ideal world, Iowa would like to redshirt true freshmen Drew Cook and Ryan Boyle. Either way, Davis said, all quarterbacks will travel with the team to get that game day experience.

• Running backs: The top two seem set with LeShun Daniels, Jr. and Jordan Canzeri. Behind them, it sounds like Derrick Mitchell, Jr. is the No. 3 with Akrum Wadley behind him.

“We’re really pleased with the way [Daniels and Canzeri] are running,” Ferentz said. “… We let them get tackled the other night — I thought that was important.

“Derrick Mitchell still needs a little bit more work but pleased with his progress too.”

• Wide Receivers/Tight Ends: Tevaun Smith is obviously the most talented and clear No. 1. Matt VandeBerg and Jacob Hillyer are the other two starters behind Smith. Davis and Ferentz praised Riley McCarron Monday, saying they like his versatility. McCarron, a senior, has seen limited action on the offense, and has spent much of his Hawkeye career thus far as a return man.

Don’t be surprised if you see redshirt freshman Jay Scheel gets some reps here or there. Although he’s a bit dinged up, his coaches expect him to get some time.

In terms of tight ends, George Kittle is the only name that popped up. Davis and Ferentz liked his speed, and it sounds like he made a share of explosive plays with Beathard during camp.

• Offensive Line: No super big changes here. The biggest thing is junior Cole Croston’s rotation at both tackle spots. Ike Boettger is listed as right tackle, but has played left tackle as well. Boone Myers is listed as the starter at left.

“It doesn’t even look like spring,” Davis said. “There’s no question there’s going to be some bumps in the road. No question, I think [Boettger and Myers] are going to be good players.”

On the inside, there has been some moving around, but Austin Blythe will likely start the year at center. Sean Welsh is listed as the team’s backup left guard on the latest depth chart (Eric Simmons the starter), but Davis mentioned his name first along with starting right guard Jordan Walsh. True freshman James Daniels and Simmons are in the mix, too.

Defense

• Linebackers: Cole Fisher has officially moved into the team’s top-3. That could change before the season begins, but Parker did say Fisher is a starter at weak side, which means sophomore Bo Bower starting role has been overtaken.

“He’s done a really good job this spring and in two-a-days, so he’ll probably be starting off with the top-three,” Parker said. “Obviously it’s not easy to play the linebacker position … it takes a lot to understand that and I just think he’s feeling more comfortable.

Sophomore Ben Niemann is listed at outside linebacker and his classmate Josey Jewell at the mike.

• Defensive Line: Nothing big here. Jaleel Johnson and Nathan Bazata are still sandwiched between Nate Meier and Drew Ott.

Defensive Backs: Desmond King and Jordan Lomax are the leaders of this team at corner and free safety. Parker said Miles Taylor is doing a good job at strong safety. Anthony Gair is the No. 2 at that position. Brandon Snyder is Lomax’s backup. Greg Mabin is at the other corner.

Special Teams

• Kicker: Marshall Koehn is the kicker of this team.

Punter: Still a race between Koehn and Dillon Kidd.

“Knock on wood, both Dillon and Marshall are punting the ball well,” Ferentz said. “Today we worked coming out of the end zone and did a good job … We’ll just keep letting it play out but right now they’re both doing a good job and I’m happy about that.”

• Returns: Desmond King and McCarron seem like the 1-2 punch returning punts. Kickoff is “kind of an open book,” according to Ferentz. He said the team is trying to sort that position out this week.

Non-personnel news

Iowa is going to wear wearing special uniforms for the Nov. 14 night game against Minnesota. They’ll be released later this week.

“It’s just one of those things that came about, it’s a new era, new millennium and all that stuff,” Ferentz said. “We had some sharp young guys think about some stuff and come up with some ideas and did a little unveiling with our players yesterday, it was well received.

“Although they don’t know a lot and the public won’t know a lot — probably as much as they know by the end of the week. It’s amazing to me what interests people. It’s a great life. As long as everyone’s happy I’m happy.”

Follow @dannyapayne on Twitter for news, updates, and analysis about the Iowa football team.