UI to extend tailgating hours

Postgame tailgating hours will be extended for home football games starting this fall.

According to a press release, Iowa Athletics Director Gary Barta told football season-ticket holders during a conference call on April 16 that Hawkeye fans will have more time after home football games to stay in parking lots and tailgate.

According to the press release, for games that kick off at 11 a.m., alcohol consumption will stop three hours after a game ends, which is an hour longer than last year. All tailgating activities in UI-owned parking lots and ramps will stop four hours after 11 a.m. games.

“We know the opportunity to enjoy pregame and postgame time with friends and family is an important part of the game-day experience for many of our fans,” Barta said in a statement. “We’re optimistic that the excellent support and participation we’ve had from the vast majority of our fans who want to enjoy their full day at Kinnick Stadium will continue.”

Consumption of alcoholic beverages will cease two hours after games that begin at 2:30 p.m., and all tailgating activities in UI-owned parking lots and ramps must end three hours after game.

Many downtown business owners said they had not heard about the new development or declined to comment.

“I think it will bring more people to Iowa City,” said Brad Temple, a managing partner of the Summit, 10 Clinton S. St. “It will increase all business for every bar, restaurant, store, etc. People will be more likely to stay in Iowa City overnight.”

One UI student, although very excited about the extension, said he foresees possible problems with the decision.

“I think it will be pretty interesting, “ UI senior Dequante Hill said. “However, I think it could be pretty dangerous, as people usually start drinking early. Extending those hours could create more risks.”

UI sophomore Gabe Vandenberg had positive things to say about the change.

“I like the idea,” he said. “It gives people more time to socialize and do what they do, so, yeah, I probably will stick around.”

For students who are not into the tailgate culture, the extension will not make any difference.

“I don’t really tailgate, so I won’t make a sway of the decision if I don’t participate in it,” UI student Jared Szabot said. “I’m becoming more busy. With graduate school coming up soon, I won’t have time going to any of the games.”

Postgame tailgating will not be permitted at all for games that start in the evening — 6 p.m. or later.

Fans will be required to pack up tents, tables, chairs, grills, and so on, and begin to exit from university parking lots and ramps during the last hour of postgame tailgating.