Women’s tennis splits matches over weekend

The Iowa women’s tennis team traveled to Oregon over the weekend to play Montana and Oregon.

The Hawks started their first two-game road trip of the season off with a 6-1 victory against Montana on Feb. 14, which Iowa is now 2-0 all-time against.

There was buzz about the outdoor play on the Oregon courts, especially when taking the speed of the outdoor courts being a factor in how the team prepared in the four days leading up to the trip.

“It was a great effort today by the team,” Dougherty said in a release. “We played outdoors, and they adapted well and quickly to the elements.”

Seniors Shelby Talcott, Morven McCulloch, and Katie Zordani were all successful in their singles matches.

Talcott defeated Precious Gbadamosi (6-2, 6-3). McCulloch also won by a large margin, defeating Montana’s Laurence Pelchat (6-0, 6-2).

Zordani’s match was closer, but the senior had the presence to take the victory against Hannah Sulz (7-6 [2], 6-2).

Junior Annette Dohanics defeated Montana’s Cam Kincaid (6-4, 6-4).

Freshman Zoe Douglas made her début in regular-season singles play, etching-out a victory over Cat Orfanos. Douglas lost the first set (4-6), but she came back to win the second (7-5), then finished off her opponent in a rout of a tiebreak (10-4).

In doubles play at the No. 2 position, McCulloch and freshman Anastasia Reimchen earned Iowa its first win, taking out Carter and Orfanos (6-3).

The duo of Zordani and Douglas teamed at the No. 3 position in doubles and beat Sulz and Kincaid (6-4).

“No. 3 doubles did a great job coming back from 2-4 to clinch the doubles point,” Dougherty said in a release.

Against Oregon on Sunday, Iowa did not fare as well, though, losing in a heartbreaker, 4-3.

The doubles team of Zordani and Douglas earned the Hawks their only doubles win of the day, but it was their second victory as a duo of the weekend. The two beat Oregon’s Lina Akesson and Kadie Hueffner (6-3).

Although she lost the middle game, Talcott won a close battle at the No. 1 singles against Oregon’s Nia Rose (6-2, 4-6, 6-3).

Senior Ellen Silver also won in singles play, defeating Lina Akesson (6-2, 6-3).

Douglas carried the momentum from her doubles victory into singles play and earned the Hawks their final point in the dual-match, overcoming a first game loss against Oregon’s Allie Hueffner and taking the win (4-6, 6-4, 6-3).

Follow @joshhicks90 on Twitter for news, updates, and analysis about the Iowa women’s tennis team.